Public Health Specialist Survey 2022
Health Education England Public Health Capacity Review 2022
The aim of this data collection tool is to capture the size and composition of the public health specialist workforce (everyone on the specialist register and actively working regardless of their job title, e.g. including ‘Consultant’ which is the commonly used job title within the NHS) along with additional roles to capture data on the wider workforce within local government authorities core public health teams as of 1st October 2022.
The data collection tool has three objectives:
- support commissioning on public health specialists by monitoring trends in Director of Public Health and Public Health Specialist numbers
- improve annual HEE (Health Education England) commissioning of specialist training places for public health and dental public health
- support improvements in data collection methods for all public professionals across the system
The tool is broken down into 3 sections:
- Workforce numbers and demographics: this covers numbers of individual staff, as well as staff demographics, employer and contract type.
- Unfilled and vacant posts: this asks for the number of current unfilled posts as well as the number of currently advertised vacant posts for all roles listed.
- Demand forecast: this asks for an expected forecast of demand for all public health positions listed over the next three years, i.e., expected demand for October 2022 to October 2025.
Please refer to the guidance when completing the data collection tool.